From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:53:31 EST
Fio asked "would it not be easier to estimate a guess (i.e. with
pre/post-feeding weighing, etc.) in both these 2 cases (eating from bottle
and a bf infant, nursing from the breast)? "

Pre & post weights are done with the same clothing and diaper on, so that one
can more accurately estimate intake as 1 gram of weight increase is
equivalent to 1 cc of milk intake. This works fine with breastfeeding, but if
you are bottle feeding (or cup feeding, BTW) and the baby is spitting a
quantity of the feeding out, don't we have to remove the wet clothing in
order to get an accurate weight (we would have to know the weight of the
clothing without the baby, dry, then weight them, again off of the baby,
with the spillage on them in order to figure out how much did not go into the
baby). Otherwise, weighing the baby with the wet clothing will give us the
false impression that the baby consumed more than he did, b/c the weight of
the spilled formula will also be counted. Sounds like a lot of extra work to
me....maybe we could stick to breastfeeding!!!
Kathy Rubin in NJ
IBCLC, RN, BC (Maternal/Infant), APN, C (Family Nurse Practitioner)
PhD student hopng to study lactation issues someday