From:
Jane Kershaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 16:59:14 -0400
I have been in maternal-child nursing for 25 years, the first 15 I spent as a
labor and delivery nurse and childbirth educator (Lamaze).  Before 1985 and
until about 1989,  I made many a bare-handed catch, routinely handled babies,
started Iv's when necessary etc.  All without gloves.  (The catches weren't
intentionally bare-handed, just worked out that way).  I NEVER sweated any
consequences.  Babies were given "dry skin care" in one hospital I worked in.
 that included drying well with warm blankets, only washing face, hands and
genitalia as needed.  Since 1987 I have gradually switched over to doing only
lactation consulting.  Now I am careful to ALWAYS wear gloves for oral
assessments, IV's, exams, and touching unwashed babies.  You see, the
standard is whether at home or in hospital to use Universal Precautions.  I
have had a couple of my babies die after late diagnosis of AIDS.  Mother did
not know she was infected.  There are several other blood-born diseases which
are carried in the amniotic fluid.  HOspital standards now say that babies
must not be handled without gloves by hospital personnel until they have been
bathed.  Health care personnel should not be bashed because of this
precaution.  We suffer a higher than normal infection rate, especially
hepatitis, with higher subsequent rates of liver cancer, etc.  This is part
of the price we pay for being willing to do what we do.  Remember, most
people go into health care because they want to help people.  It is the
exception, not the rule, for HCP's to go into this expecting to make a lot of
money.  I am not defending "scrubbing the infant till it squeaks."  You have
to understand that most practices that have become routine were instituted
for a very good reason,  We just have to continue to examine those reasons to
see if they are still valid or if there is another way to accomplish the
purpose if the practice is not appropriate or desirable.

Thanks
Jane Kershaw  [log in to unmask]