From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 01:55:54 -0700
I understand that an Interferential (IF) Unit is fabulous for restoring
quality of life for those with interstitial cystitis. I cannot see how
using an IF Unit would in any way interfere with bfing - it is
completely non-invasive and non-systemic. An IF Unit looks alot like a
TENS (transcutaneous electronic nerve stimluation) unit but there the
comparison stops. Whereas a TENS unit cycles something like 300/second,
an IF unit cycles 3,000+/second. The significance is that the IF unit
can go deep into tissues and joints unlike the TENS which only works on
the periphery. The IF Unit also has different settings for
edema/swelling and pain. I own one which I use regularly to control
swelling in various joints and have discovered it can do wonders for
managing the fibromyalgia that I deal with. The rep who set me up with
my unit told me it has been used extremely well in interstitial cystitis
- she also spoke from her own experience. I do not know if there are
other companies dispensing IF Units, but I got mine from VisionQuest at
1-800-266-6969. It requires a prescription. Hope this helps give her
another option to continue bfing.

Katharine West, BSN, MPH
Sherman Oaks, CA