From:
"Johnson, Martha (Lactation-SHMC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:11:31 -0800
hi Jeanne,
We used the "old" edition of the BFHI course, we distributed copies to all
staff who are involved in direct patient care.  they were required to
complete the course within a year of hire, unless they could document prior
equivalent or greater training in lactation.  We made up some self tests for
staff to test their knowledge, and we did quite a few of these quizzes
before we had our site visit from Baby Friendly.  I think the self study
concept is a great idea, many hospitals require all bedside staff to be
trained in neonatal resuscitation.  In my hospital, the study materials for
neonatal resuscitation are at least 1.5 inches thick, and staff is expected
to study on their own.  They are given a skills check-off, more extensive
the initial time, and then renewed by written and skills testing every 2
years.  This is for a skill/body of knowledge that everyone is expected to
know--but only a few will use regularly.  Breastfeeding is something we all
help with daily, and well-informed, skilled support at the bedside makes a
HUGE difference in moms' success and in their satisfaction with the care
they received.  A winner for everyone when it goes well.
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene Oregon

iginal Message-----