From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:40:29 -0400
I recently talked to the mother of a nine month old baby, who is having trouble breastfeeding because he will not relax and feed. I realize that babies of this age are easily distracted and are busy little people. We talked about feeding him in a calm environment without distractions. She brought him in for a routine weight check and while in the office, this is what I observed.

He constantly throws himself backwards. His mother describes it as "bucking". On the scale, he almost threw himself off. When sitting, she must put a pillow behind him because he will throw himself backwards at any moment. He constantly stiffens, arches back and fusses. I was wondering aloud if she thinks he might have reflux. She says it does not seem to be in relation to eating at all. He does it all the time. This little guy was 8-5 at birth, 17-11 now, looks well. Has "chicken hair", as we have discussed before on Lactnet, this may be a sign of allergies. Ideas?  His diet consists of breastmilk and two jars of baby food a day.
I discussed milk allergy, massage, eliminating distractions, but would appreciate any other ideas. I have been around many babies but have never seen one do this behavior constantly like this little guy.
Thanks.
Ann Calandro, RNC, IBCLC