Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:39:41 PDT
I called our local newspaper to give them the scoop on tonight's Chicago Hope
episode, and it resulted in an article ON THE FRONT PAGE! Wow! You can read it at
        http://www.star-gazette.com/News/21breast.html
I thought that the overall tone of the article was positive, although I am at a
loss to understand why they didn't mention LLL as a local resource. Never mind - I
will use that as an excuse to write a letter to the editor, therebye reinforcing
the original message that breast is best.

I also called our local CBS affiliate in Binghamton NY to ask them to show the psa.
No time for that, they said.....and then mentioned that someone from Ithaca had
already called about it. It was, of course, Diane Wiessinger! Having two people
call must have made as impression, because I was asked if I would be willing to
appear on the 11 o'clock news. I said I would - but could they tape it earlier?
Binghamton is over an hour away from me. While I was waiting for them to get back
to me (they never did!) I called Diane on another matter, and discovered that they
had since contacted a more local LC, so that of course is even better!

Next I talked to the NBC affiliate. They were VERY interested in doing a follow up
in their weekly health segment. The ABC affiliate, however, absolutely refused to
do anything that might even advertantly promote a rival's show, even though I
emphasised that it was an important health issue. Oh well, can't win them all!

Now all I have to do is to keep awake late enough to watch the show and see what
they say about it on the news afterwards.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, in Big Flats, upstate NY, where we are expecting our first
snow tonight.
<[log in to unmask]> "If not now, when? If not us, who?" R. Hillel