From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:46:54 EST
At first glance I loved the idea, but then I wondered how new mothers who may
have been reading and believing in any of the "Shame" titles have reacted.
It's so easy to have a group of mothers or a group of women feel as if there
is an "us" and "them" division in the group.  This could be comfortable if
one is in the "us" part, but could turn off the people who identify in some
ways with the "them" part.  Please tell us more about how you have presented
those dis-recommended books and how people have responded.

At the same time, I can see how VERY satisfying it would be to be able to
scrawl my scorn in the margins of some of those books, and how much fun it
would be to read other people's comments and addenda.  I also have a
perennial problem figuring out where to file those awful formula-company
manuals that I want to keep around as Bad Examples but don't want getting
mixed up with my Good Books.  I'd better start going to yard sales and
building up my Shame collection so I'll have enough for a whole shelf!

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
Swarthmore  PA (eastern USA)