Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:33:08 EDT
Mary says,

> .)  I was also told that by breastfeeding, her prolactin
> would increase and they didn't want that to happen because the tumor
> could grow with increased prolactin levels.

Well, it might or might not.  And the tumor might or might not grow.  If this
mom wants to breastfeed -- why not take the chance and a wait and see
attitude w/ it rather than writing it off?

I'd be interested to know what drugs they are going to put her on to lower
the prolactin -- if it is Bromocriptine, the reason she "can't" breastfeed w/
that is because it lowers the prolactin, not because it affects the baby.  So
why not breastfeed w/ it?

I guess I'm interested in someone pursuing this from the logical course and
giving her (and her baby) a chance at breastfeeding rather than making
assumptions.  If she starts having untoward symptoms w/ the tumor, then stop
the breastfeeding and treat appropriately.  But if she isn't, and it is
benign (as are most pituitary adenomas), then let her breastfeed.

By the way, it is estimated that 10% of the population has a pituitary tumor.
 (Don't ask me where I read it -- someplace -- probably in the newspaper.)

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com