From:
Ann Slaughter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:52:19 -0700
Hi to all on Lacnet,
    I am fairly new to this site and have been eagerly reading (lurking as I
have seen it called) on this site for a few weeks now and have learned many
new ideas and concept that I am trying to put to use (or store for future
use) in the hospital that I work at.  I am a RN of some 23 years all in the
maternal child area, with many years now in the NICU, where I have been one
of a few who are willing, and with a positive attitude, supported and
encouraged breastfeeding, requardless of the baby's gestational age.  I
breastfed both of my sons, one for a little over a month due to a severe
conginital heart and my second for nearly 6 months.  Both experiences were
wonderful and fulfilling, especially with my first as he did not survive his
initial surgery at 84 days of life.  Since I am not a certified LC, LLL or
other certified "teacher" and  I have a question in reguards to this
particular posting.  If my knowledge base is incompleate, then I am looking
for answers, if my concept is partly correct I would like some afformation
to it.  Either way I am open to corrective criticism and/or enlightenment.
I know from my own experience, that it is not necessarily an easy decision
to stop breastfeeding;this was especially true with my first son.  Some
women have no desire at all to "try" breastfeeding, some are not sure and
are willing to listen and may only need a little education, instruction and
encouragement to "just try", others are very positive and desire instruction
and support in their decision.

My question is:  What is wrong with supporting a mom in her dicision to stop
breastfeeding, what ever her reason?  Not all moms desire to nurse untill
their child is in first grade.  Isn't some time at the breast better than
none?    This one message sounded so negative and judgemental, as I read it
though, I just had to write.  Was this just a bad day, or was the writer  in
need of someone to ventilate to?   Please respond either by my personal
email, or by Lacnet, which ever you prefer.

Thank You
Ann  in Moible, AL.