From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 06:39:02 -0400
The question is asked: How may I confirm permission to use photos, in an
educational session, obtained from a CD, that was part of a book, purchased
from a professional association?

The answer -- for obtaining ANY permission to use copyrighted material --
is JUST ASK.

(1)  If you flip through the book itself, to which the CD was attached,
there will probably be a page that indicates the conditions under which the
photos may be used (a.k.a. your "license" to use those copyright-protected
materials).  If the book tells you what you can do, you'll have your answer.

(2)  If not, you'll have to find the copyright owner and Just Ask.  You
have the author's name -- and she is a well-known and active member of the
IBCLC community.  If you Google her name, the very first option that pops
up is the website she maintains with her co-author.  There is a "Contact"
tab on the home page.  Click that, and in the box you'll simply type in the
inquiry posed here:  "I purchased a CD of images which accompanies Barbara
Wilson-Clay's BF Atlas and would like to use the photos in my PowerPoint
presentation used during the 40-hour training I provide.  [Do I have
permission to do so?]"  Doesn't get much simpler than that.

(3) Where you purchased the book is irrelevant.

(4)  Good On You for respecting the copyright-protected material of others!

--
Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA