From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:42:43 EST
Dear Melanie,
I had a mother with gestational diabetes, who was a second time mother, pump
her colostrum prior to her delivery and bring it for the hospital to use as
needed.
Her baby ended up nursing well after delivery and the blood sugars were
stable.  The mother did use her milk at least once during her stay but otherwise
breastfeeding.
The staff was not thrilled with this but what could they say?
We have a hypoglycemia policy (not the greatest but it does help some) and if
a baby's blood sugar is low they are to first attempt breastfeeding before
giving any supplements.
I would definitely encourage this mother to collect some of her milk prior to
delivery, bring it in when she delivers with instructions to use only this as
a supplement if her new baby does not stabilize with breastfeeding.  She may
want to express her wishes and concerns with her pediatrician prior to
delivery.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA