Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:57:30 -0400
Someone else mentioned familial lipoprotein lipase deficiency and I would guess that it is being ruled out. Otherwise, nfants with certain auto-immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and celiac may have elevated triglycerides, as can infants with hypothyroidism and diabetes.? Certainly, as Kathy Dettwyler mentioned, liver diease is associated and elvated triglycerides can lead to pacreatic disease.

Treatment for elevated triglycerides typically includes EFA supplementation--I know of no better source than human milk.

Also, while cholesterol levels are higher in breastfed babies, I would think the ratio
should be maintained. There is no way that this level can be within anyone's
range of normal.

Debbie, you write:

Mom was tested negative for celiac a few years ago; baby
was tested negative for celiac last month when she started
losing weight, but maybe the results changed?  Mom said
baby reacts to oats (vomiting) and wheat (rash and gas)
"but not rye and barley.

Dioes this mean these foods were all give directly to this baby? Clearly
mom has a damaged gut herself or she would not have been assessed for
celiac. IMO, all grains should be avoided in all babies for the first 18 mos of
life, but certainly offering gluten-containing grains to this baby is very
dangerous. Just b/c she does not have a visible reaction to barley and rye does
not mean she is not having an inflammatory response.

I posted in the past about a baby I worked with recently who refused to eat
at all, was being tube fed and doctors wanted to place the tube permanently.
We had baby muscle-tested for allergies, had her TT clipped and within days
the tube was out and baby was feeding at breast. She was too smart to want
her mom's milk when it hurt her. I do not remember all of the alelrgens, but
they (as usual) included cow milk products, gluten grains and maybe 10 other
foods (some that the mother rarely ate anyway). We also did gut healing for
mom and baby including probiotics and slippery elm for the baby. Babies who are
"picky" have allergies.

While the NG tube was an extreme situaiton, I see this situation very, very often.
American children are becoming sicker and sicker (so are their mothers) and we
have so lowered the bar as to what is acceptable that we don't even recognize
half of the symptoms for what they really are.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC