From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:21:30 -0400
Sue,

I really liked your comment about how some moms intuitively sense that their
babies will be OK after a bit of fussing, or maybe even crying -- that they
do this as part of their settle down routine; but if the mom is really
uncomfortable with the crying, then it is probably a sign that something is
wrong, and the baby shouldn't be left to cry.  You really hit it right on
when you mentioned that we need to help mothers understand that it is OK to
follow their hearts, despite all the experts, and I list them all, including
the pediatrician, me, their mothers, sisters, (esp. the ones that never had
kids), etc.  Tina Smillie once said that if we tell a mother her maternal
instinct on something is wrong (i.e. no, you shouldn't pick up the baby every
time he cries), then we have effectively negated her ability to ever trust
her instinct again.  New moms are vulnerable, and sensitive, and need so much
mothering.

Jan B (still smarting over some things I was told over 21 years ago.  And
that I listened to.  Poor Jill).