From:
Roberta Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 15:39:11 -0600
Hi Elisa:

Your concern about use of precautions, gloves, etc. woke me up to something
that I have not been concerned/aware/or whatever..about.   I do mostly
housecalls, and it is during the process of showing the mother how to
hand-express her milk that I am often in direct contact with her
colostrum/milk, etc.  I wash my hands very well before handling her
breasts,...and naturally, do so afterwards, too.
But I have never used gloves and up until now had not even thought about
doing so.
I am anxious to know what the rest of you do in these situations.

 I just got off the phone with the Chief of Neonatology at the Mexican
Social Security Regional Medical Center (tertiary level)...asking him if
they use gloves while working with the nursing mothers in the
premie-nursery, etc....and he said NEVER.  He said that the possible
trasnference of HIV via BM on your hands during a session of
hand-extraction, etc. is minimal.

What do you all do in your practices...and what is the norm on skin contact
with Breastmilk?

Roberta

Roberta