From:
Jaye Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:49:11 -0800
Hi All,
I read through the release and I was saddened to see that they don't mention
breastfeeding at all.  Wouldn't it be great if one of these companies
actually gathered a bunch of good LC's and sent them over to help with BF or
paid for donor milk or something along those lines saving the ABM
(Artificial Baby Milk) for last resort?  Wouldn't it be great if they
actually promoted BF and stated that ABM was only as a last resort when BF
was not an option, donor milk was unavailable and mom has no way to
relactate?  Although I know that given our code of ethics we couldn't
ethically associate with them...

The one good thing that they did say was that given the lack of clean water
they were only sending ready to feed products.  At least that is one thing
in their favor.

One thing that is hard to stomach for us is that many people just don't
realize the dangers and risks associated with ABM feeding.  The general
public sure doesn't.  How many times have I explained to moms the risks of
ABM feeding only to have them say, "Wow!  I didn't know that!"

And finally, as devil's advocate - the tsunami victims need all the help
they can get - if there is no access to breastmilk (donor or mommy) for the
babies who are victims or are separated from the mommies - then ABM is going
to needed.  Hard fact of life - but it is there for that purpose.  Now, if
we could gather enough moms across the world to donate milk to the milk
banks specifically for tsunami victims' babies THAT would be cool.

Jaye
Feeling very ill this morning which means no consult today with the dyad I
was going to go see.  :(