From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:53:08 -0500
Exerpts from a communication I received re: Nestle products

You can also be confident that Nestlé® Carnation® Follow-Up(tm), Alsoy® and
Follow-Up Soy®  are certified as Kosher by the Union of Orthodox Jewish
Congregations of America.  The (U)D on the label represents the
certification and covers all three formulas
produced at our facility.
Because milk products are produced in the same facility the (U)D is
required but you can be confident that our soy formulas are milk-free.
Also, the Certification is renewed on an annual basis by the Union of
Orthodox Jewish Congregation New York, N.Y. and a Rabbi certifies the plant
routinely to ensure that the raw ingredients, equipment and production
process are in line with Kosher standards.

Nestlé® Carnation® Good Start® is not certified as Kosher because in our
production process we use trypsin, an enzyme derived from pork.  This
enzyme is used to break down our proteins into smaller pieces to make Good
Start gentle on a baby's developing digestive system.  Although trypsin is
used in the production of Good Start, it is not present in the final
version of the product.

*** Now I haven't got a clue as to how trypsin can be used in production,
but not be in final product.  maybe a Chemistry major amongst us can
enlighten me. But pork  is still involved so this would be a no-no.  I
wonder how many Jewish and Muslim people know this!
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ