From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:30:01 -0400
I had totally forgotten this post of mine from about 2 years ago - the one that led the D-MER woman to me:

"A ped(iatrician) has asked me about a 7-week mom who experiences depression with each milk release. The depression lifts after a few minutes. I found a bit in the archives, but am wondering about mechanism and treatment. Vasopressin (ADH or antidiuretic hormone) can be linked to depression. Does anyone know whether/how it's involved with oxytocin? Apparently the two are very similar chemically. Something somewhere makes me think there's a connection between the thirst that milk release generates and the fleeting depression this mom experiences.  I've suggested that she use a good book, a good book on tape, or good music (all her definition of "good") to distract her during let-down, and that most likely the symptom will abate with time.  I'm also wondering if just possibly *drinking* during let-down might help. Why am I connecting the depression and the "milk-release thirst"? Does it make sense to anyone else?"

It turns out one lactnetter actually *did* cure this problem by drinking water!  And while my client rarely feels thirsty, it seems that many/most of the D-MER women have an unusually great thirst during milk release.

My client's comment:
"I tried sipping water while I nursed some this AM. I have to say it was awful. The feelings didn't go away and then I was left with a mouth full of water that I nearly spit out because my stomach churned in such a way that the thought of swallowing was very unappealing. I managed to swallow anyway! I'll try sipping before bringing baby to breast instead."

Doesn't all this sound much more like an unusual physiological response than like repressed memories?  I don't think I mentioned this from Hale/Hartmann:  "In animals, oxytocin given acutely will decrease apetite."  She had said it affected her appetite, but the problem for her seems to cover *any* intake.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com