From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:54:47 EST
Diane and all,

We use castille soap, which I believe is vegetable-based, to clean pump
parts in my hospital. This is the soap I will tell the mom she can use to clean  a
nipple with an open wound, crack, abrasion, etc. when she is still
hospitalized.  If the problem is not present in the hospital, but rather  the mom calls
me after discharge, I will tell her that she can use a soap  with little or
no perfumes or antibacterial properties added, a "pure"  soap.

The rational for cleaning the wounded nipple with soap once a day is that  it
can help kill germs. We don't hesitate to wash other areas of our skin that
have breaks in the skin's integrity, like small cuts, scrapes, etc. And  there
is some thought that a cracked, damaged nipple is a risk factor for
mastitis. I don't have the reference here at home, but look at the Academy of
Breastfeeding Medicine's Clinical Protocol on Mastitis. This is the only time I
recommend using soap on the breasts or nipples, due to the possible effect of
soap being too drying. And I always stress the importance of handling the
breasts or doing any nipple treatments such as applying lanolin with clean  hands.

Hope that this helps.

Mary-Jane Sackett, RN, IBCLC
Pittsfield, MA USA