Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:00:32 +0000
Sorry Lisa, I am none the wiser.

>Using both Riordan/Auerbach and Marie Biancuzzo's books for reference it
>appears to me that we should see prolactin levels from 100-400ng/ml at
>term. I interpret that to mean we should see levels this high initially,
>within the first week as long as the baby is going to breast, regardless
>when the level was drawn.

This is a huge margin, meaning (to me) that the margin is so wide it is not
especally important where on the spectrum an individual mother is.  One of
the studies in R&A was based on a sample of just 8 women.

Were you saying the mother's level was 14?  On the evidence, yes, this
seems low, though I would then wonder about the testing methods and their
accuracy, rather than assume the mother's prolactin was really only just
over a tenth of what the lower 'normal' level would be.

Do we know how to test prolactin and when, in order to get a reliable result?

I am genuinely curious as I have never heard of anyone getting their
prolactin levels tested in the UK except if they are being investgated for
infertility.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK