From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:47:34 -0700

> There was a 60 minutes program just a few years ago analyzing what both
> white and black families who planned mealtimes fed their children.  They
> were accompanied by the interviewer to the supermarket.  Fresh fruits
> and vegetables where prefered by these conscientious moms, even as they
> introduced solid foods to their little ones.  The lab analysis was those
> were the most heavily chemical laden foods.  The mothers were horrified
> about the levels they were unwittingly serving.  They all said they felt
> guilt and were mad they did not know what chemcials were in and on the
> foods they were buying.  They felt taken advantage of by the food
> industry.  Organic growers and consumers were vindicated on that show.

There is also a horrifying set of articles about some tests done by the
Environmental Working Group, which is available online.
http://www.ewg.org/pub/home/Reports/Baby_Food/Baby_Home.html
This is the URL.  It is a report telling about 3 of the main baby food
(jars) in the USA and how much pesticides are found in various kinds of
them.  I would have been interested in seeing strawberries here.  What
this tells me, is that given these are peeled fruits and vegetables
mainly, the same pesticides (or more) are also on our unpeeled fruit we
eat at home.

I have taken to buying only organic apples for one, because they are a
"staple fruit" available and eaten all year around.

http://www.ewg.org/pub/home/reports/apples/applepr.html
http://www.ewg.org/pub/home/reports/fewbadapples/pressrelease.html

These 2 pages talk about the apples, and how a certain portion of apples
have toxic levels to children under the year of...5 I think?

OK, so this is not too related to lactation, but it is related to babies
and what they eat either post-weaning or during the weaning period
(which as we know can be several years), so I thought I'd just add it in
there to look at.

Fio.