From:
bclesperance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:09:21 -0600
Hi!
I talked with a Mom yesterday whose husband won a 7 day all expense trip to
Hawaii at his work. (Subject came up because she had rented an electric
pump to start pumping and saving milk and was having trouble letting down
to the pump.) They have a baby who will be 10 weeks old at the time of this
trip. The company states that she cannot take her baby---They say that they
are concerned about the liability if anything happened to the baby. This
sounded crazy to me---since it seems a lot more could happen to a baby who
is separated from the mother. What legal rights does she have? I don't
understand how they can prevent her from taking her baby---It is not an
extra expense they would have to pay for???

I also felt, "Why would you want to go on such a trip if you had to leave
your baby!!!!"  What I did with her on this issue was ask her some
questions to get her to think about how she was going to feel and what some
of the consequences would be for she and the baby... Milk supply problems,
getting baby back to the breast, no fun when you ar worrying about the
baby, no fun when you miss the baby everytime your breasts fill or when you
let down, etc.
Thanks!
Carol L'Esperance, RN, MSN, IBCLC
Albuquerque, NM 87106 USA