From:
sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:04:13 +0800
I was recently working with a mom with mastitis and remember reading that if
the mastitis doesn't clear up or keeps coming back the baby's throat shoud
be cultured to see if the baby could be re-infecting the mother.  If theis
is the case then the culture shoul be used to determine the best antibiotice
and the baby should be treated too.    Also  "for some women, the cycle of
chronic receuuing mastitis has been broken by preventive long-term
antibiotic treatment...low doses of antibiotics to take once a day for two
to three months..."  This is from La Leche League Internayional's  The
Breastfeeding Answer Book.   I'm sure that here is a reference to the use of
lecithin in there too, but I can't find it right now.   Nancy Sherwood LLLL,
IBCLC  Perth, Australia