From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:35:58 -0500
Nan Jolly has found the complete text of the William Carlos Williams story,
The Use of Force, at the following link

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/force.html

It truly is a *short* story -- it should only take you a few minutes to read
it.  I have written about this story, and in my research learned that what
the narrator finds at the end is that this little girl almost certainly has
diptheria.  This was written before the use of antibiotics. At that time,
the standard of care for diptheria was largely to provide comfort and wait
and see.  I can't remember the exact numbers now, but a certain percentage
of people survived it while others did not, and there were no medicines or
interventions that seemed to make much of a difference.

If any of you have thoughts about the story that are off-topic, I'd love to
hear from you privately.  I imagine that more than a few of the brilliant
people on lactnet will have some pointedly on-topic things to say about it
as well.

Kerry Ose