From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:28:24 -0400
Hello, I have a student of mine who had reduction surgery 15 years ago, and just gave birth to her second child. The first birth was uncomplicated, vaginal birth, and she nursed for 4 months, at which time she felt as though she could not keep up with demand. She also tried using a PNS pump with the first baby with little success.

Second baby 4 days old, born after failed induction resulting in a c/section. Baby is jaundiced, and Ped advised absolutely no breastfeeding. Mom is severely engorged, and unable to move milk manually. This pregnancy she purchased the Ameda Purely Yours, and now reports bleeding when she tries to pump. I questioned as to whether the nipple was bleeding or if the bleeding was coming from within the breast, and she feels that the bleeding is on the sides of the nipple. I have suggested the larger flange, and am hopeful that may be the issue. Baby is not breastfeeding at this point, and she is fearful of pumping. Manual expression has not been successful.

I can think of many contributing factors to the baby's jaundice and her engorgement, and we have discussed those factors, including jaundice issues, but my primary question is: is there any known issue or risk with a BFAR mom and pumping? She did have areola/nipple removal and replacement during the surgery, but see leakage and nursed well for a period with the first baby.  Is there an increased risk of nipple damage with pumping after BFAR where the nipple and surrounding tissue was altered?

Mirine R. Dye, B.S., CCE, CLE
www.KeysHealthyStart.org