From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:04:21 -0400
Dear all:

I did get a very nice response from FAO Shwartz's manager, who called me back not once, but
twice.  He didn't just leave a message.  He was very strongly stating that they went over the
policies with their staff members about a women being able to nurse anywhere in the store and
that it was strictly against store policy to ask anyone to nurse anywhere else.  He said it that some
of the younger store members had not really thought about the issue much.

I have been thinking about what really makes great paradigm shifts in cultural behavior and it
often starts with having to take a stand and having others feel quite uncomfortable.  I'm thinking
about Rosa Parks or Susan B. Anthony, who took a stand that made people feel uncomfortable.
Remember, it was not that long ago that we went through a historical period when women's brains
were considered inferiour because they were smaller than men's brains and we would be damaged
by exposure to academic learning.  Yes, in a work setting it pays to be diplomatic - but in a
political setting, I'm no longer so sure.  Careful thought about the goals for sure, but sometimes
you do need to make others uncomfortable.  Just look at the revoluntionary shift in attitudes about
smoking!  So, yes, we do need to think about when a "nurse-in" might backfire.  But also many
great movements were started and kept going even though they was a period of backlash that is
so normal when an uncomfortable change is starting to occur.

Best, Susan Burger

PS.  I'm sort of missing one of our more outspoken "Lactavists" who I feel challenges us all, and
because of it, sometimes makes us uncomfortable with really looking hard at our ethics,  who
seems to have been rather silent lately.