From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:11:41 -0500
Jerri
The first thing I thought of was oversupply, even before I read where you
mentioned it in your post. The second thing is some sort of physical
blockage, like the way she sleeps (mostly on that side???) or maybe some
narrowing or twisting or cyst pressing on that ductal area????
She can certainly re-lactate if she is sad about weaning and I would
encourage her to do that. She needs a thorough consultation to determine
what factors might be contributing to the mastitis (poor general health,
fatigue, long intervals between feeds, restricting access to breast in any
way, pressure on the ducts, overstimulation via pumping, etc).
She can wean on one side only if it's always that side that gets inflamed. I
don't know how old the newest baby is, but I do find it can be difficult to
breastfeed only at night with a young baby/child. It would be possible with
a toddler, yes. But with a younger child she may have more trouble with
engorgement or with breast refusal or with latching, all factors that can
contribute to more bouts of mastitis.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA