From:
Judy Canahuati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 11:45:31 -0600
About a month ago, some of us received a note from IBFAN, GENEVA asking us
to report on International Code activities in our countries.  There was
about one day to do it and I put together a few things that I had and sent
it off.

Yesterday I received the following FAX from Dr. Graeme A. Clugston,
Director, Programme of Nutrition/NUT
FAX (41-22) 791-4156; email <[log in to unmask], Mailing address:  Dr. Graeme
A. Clugston, Director, NUT, WHO, CH-1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland -

Message #42720

"Please accept sincere thanks....
The respons from more than 20 IBFAN groups in as many countries to our
request for information has been most enthusiastic indeed.  We recognize
that we could hardly do justice to these contributions in the very limited
space of formal Executive Board and World Health Assembly documentacion on
the entire area of infant and young child nutrtion:  2 pages in an overall
document reporting on implementation of resolutions and 8 pages in an
exceptional information docuemtn.  We have therefore decided to prepare a
summary of information on the recent activities of nongovernmental
organizations, professional groups, consumer organizations, and others in
support of the International Code for inclusion in a more detailed offset
document on the subject of Code implementation.

Our plan is to make the offset document available in time for the 51st
World Health Assembly in May, 1998, which means that there is still an
opportunity to include additional relevant information from IBFAN groups.
We would like to encourage you to participate by providing new information
from your worldwide network.  Summary contributions provided by 1 FEBRUARY
1998 will be welcome for this purpose.

Best wishes to you and your colleagues in your continuing efforts to
promote optimal infant and you child-feeding practices and healthy nutrition.

Since we are from so many countries and organizations that don't usually
receive such an opportunity, I hope that there will be information from
countries not usually represented in these reports.

If you yourself are not involved in IBFAN work, surely you have colleagues
who are.  In the US, I note that there is lots of media watch and protest
to the manufacturers.

Perhaps some of the documentation of that in the WHA report will make an
impression on US authorities.

We have Israel, Australia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Britain, Brazil,
certainly on the list --

This is the first time that WHO has opened up to non-governmental
organizations and it is impressive that they are inviting such a large
variety of groups to report.

There is time still for us to be in contact with all of our colleagues and
to assist WHO in preparing a full report on Code implementation for the WHA.

Please pass around this note to your respective networks.

Best regards. Judy

Judy Canahuati, MPhil, IBCLC
PO Box #512
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Telephone: +504-50-9737
Fax:       +504-50-7482
E-mail:    [log in to unmask]

"The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them
changes both the maker and the destination."  John Schaar