From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:59:15 -0500
We normally have good bacteria in our intestines that helps to digest
food, etc. When one has diarrhea or goes on antibiotics, the good
bacteria may be stripped from the intestine which can allow candida to
over grow. We all have candida in normal amounts but when it overgrows,
we have fungal problems like thrush or athlete's foot.

I would say probiotics are not harmful but if you don't need them, you
don't need them. A baby with blood in the intestines has something going
on to irritate the intestinal lining and trying probiotics is better
than trying formula. I have seen babies have green bowel movements when
mom is on an antibiotic.

I have cured diarrhea by taking probiotics in myself and my kids and one
cat.

Some probiotics are cultured from milk but I use the non-dairy kind. And
the ones at the drugstore or the big box store, are not good enough. A
local doctor here says each capsule should have 1-2 billion bacteria and
the cheap ones have  a lot less.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC