From:
Margi Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:05:49 -0700
Barbara Ash wrote:

>Kudos to Kathleen Feather for her wonderful post.
>
>Kathy E. and Karen and Catherine W.G. hit the nail right on the head.   Being
>a League leader is a tremendous amount of work.  It's more than  leading a
>meeting every month, and taking a few calls.  I think some people  think it's
>easier because of the "automatic 500 hours a year" rule in the  eligibility
>requirements, but in effect, if you added up all the time an average  Leader
>spends, it would be far more than 500 hours.  (By the way, if you  are accumulating
>hours to sit and are a LLLL and you think you spend more than  500 hours a
>year, document it and those extra hours will count toward your  required total.)

Oh my, I'm sure I put in more than 500 hours a year these days as a
LLLL.  I lead meetings, train applicants, answer calls locally in
English and Spanish, answer e-mails generated by our chapter website,
and answer LLLI help forms in Spanish as well as taking LLLI calls in
Spanish (the one from Puerto Rico so far is the longest distance).  I
try to attend area and international conferences and mostly sign up for
CE sessions to get the "nuts and bolts".  And I've been a LLLL for 17
years.  No need for extra documentation, I guess, LOL.

I treasure all the experience I have had as a LLLL and as a mom of a
baby with some serious sucking problems (a brand new IBCLC saved us 21.5
years ago).  I owe a huge debt to the profession, and hope to repay some
of the "karma" by becoming an IBCLC myself in the next year or two.  But
yeah, being a LLLL is not for the slackers -- it's plenty of work and
committment.  I love it but would never recommend it as a "shortcut".

I am just beginning the process here, and am very interested in these
discussions.....

LLLove, Margi