From:
"D. Shinskie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 18:39:17 -0400
Chris:  You go girl!  I don't care if I am an RN - my IBCLC is NOT an
extension of my RN - my IBCLC stands ALONE!!!!  THAT *IS* my profession!
Believe me, those qualifications required in that job description are a slap
in the face to IBCLC's!  In all of my former & current IBCLC roles, I can't
say that my nursing background didn't help sometimes, but I never found it
ESSENTIAL!  I also like to compare this "debate" to something we RN's can
relate to:  So many RN's came into nursing, esp. in the past 10 yrs, from
SOOOOOO many different occupations BUT does the RN job posting require that
past degree/prof experience in the other field as well - NO WAY! -they just
want to see the RN training/experience.  I have been infuriated with the
last 2 outside-the-home LC positions for which I interviewed - I was the
only IBCLC candidate (thus a practical shoe-in) BUT both times my
interviewers commented on my RN background as a definite plus - WHY, I
ask????  I certainly did *NOT* learn about bfing in nursing school & much of
what I learned as a floor nurse in the beginning had to be undone -entirely
or partly- in my LC-learning!

Debbie Shinskie RN CES IBCLC in Millersburg, PA, USA
http://www.epix.net/~shinskie/
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
                                                -Isak Dinesen