From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:40:44 -0400

>How does she know she is anemic? Has she had a complete blood count? What is
>her ethnicity?  Is she from a people group that tends to have low iron?
>Does she have Thalassemia?

Just in case she is and / or her child turns out to have Thalassemia
(including minor), encourage her to breastfeed -- of course you are
going to anyway, but here's another reason. Breastmilk turned out to be
a magic wand for our little fellow; as long as he was breastfeeding he
did not have any iron issues to compound and complicate the low
hemoglobin, and when he stopped it became a bit of a struggle. The first
low iron count came when he had nearly weaned. I have posted before on
our wonderful ped. who said that it was an eloquent testimony to
"natural span" (to avoid extended) breastfeeding. That statement helped
me to cope with the struggle. We have had an excellent outcome.
Jo-Anne