From:
Miranda Buck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:00:15 +0000
Hi Malka,

There are two allergy pathways; fast and slow. Fast is what gives you rashes and swelling, slow gives you eczema and both are often present. She may be able to spot fast reactions which might help spot the allergens more quickly - look for flushing after a breastfeed. Elimination diets are a pain, but dairy is going to be the commonest problem. With my little one it was an annoying combination of dairy and bananas, but as her gut has matured I have now introduced dairy back into my diet with no issues for her at 16 months. Her skin prick test is still highly reactive an she can't tollerate dairy at all, but is not reacting to my breastmilk, which is great. I was interested to note the list of allergens That the royal children's hospital here test for routinely; dairy, eggs, nuts, legumes, latex, fish and shellfish. Corn wasn't on the list. The immunologist I saw recommended blood tests for allergies from the GP as being the easiest way of monitoring her progress towards tolerance. So they do skin prick tests in hospital, takes 15 minutes, or GP can test for gluten and egg, or dairy allergies. Sounds way easier than elimination diets, if she has access to that sort of thing.

Miranda

I hope you can help me!
PTP: Four month old baby boy has had eczema almost from the start. It has gotten
worse and worse. Mom went off dairy and has changed laundry detergent 3 times.
Using Dreft now and doing an extra rinse cycle. Mom went back on dairy because
she didn't see that it  made a difference, but then baby became even more
unhappy--excessive crying, up during the night. Now mom plans to go on a strict
elimination diet--dairy, beef, fish, wheat, corn and nuts. To complicate
matters, baby has gained only a few ounces in the past month. Could eczema be
related to low weight gain? Pediatrician recommends strict elimination diet or
to stop breastfeeding and feed EleCare formula. I would appreciate any comments.
From:    Malka Weldler <[log in to unmask]>