From:
David Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 00:10:58 -0700
I wonder if the feeling that you're having that bf needs no
documentation is because you've seen all the documentation
in the world not diswade people from smoking, drinking, and
using formula so there must be an unmet need out there.
It's great to tell people about the advantages of bf and to have
the latest research to back us up but if I were a childbirth
instructor and new that half of my class would just get offended
at the mention of benefits (thus the need for the latest
research) then I might try to tackle the reasons people choose
not too bf.  For example after the class helped me come up with
a list of some of the benefits of bf I could have the class help
me make a list of all the reasons a person might choose not to
bf, or a list of the problems a person who bfs might encounter,
then go through the list and teach the alternatives/solutions.
I think the people who are most passionate against bf are those
who already had disapointing bf experiences or those who feel
that there is some hurtle before them that would make bf
difficult to unbearable.  It's good that the childbirth
instructor doesn't want to presume that she can tell people what
they should do for their babies and in there own individual
circumstances, but if she can get ideas flowing on !how! these
couples might be able to make bf work for them then she has a
great class that even the people who were planning on bfing
would get a lot of information out of.

I'm very new on-line, Joyce Mitchell LLL leader in Orem, Utah