From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:26:55 -0800
Stop laughing!!!

Permission to post:  This really is a question I got today from a mom I've
been working with.  When she was out for an hour or so, the six-month-old
baby's grandfather gave her a dill pickle to help with 'teething pain',
claiming that the dill will soothe her tummy and the cold will numb her
gums.  Mom assured me that the pickles were homemade with organic cukes
using only dill and garlic.  WHAT do I tell this mother?!?  No reference to
pickles as teethers in any of MY references!!!

Also, can I vent for a moment?  Along the lines of "they just don't get it":
Today at our monthly community health fair I overheard a mother of a
two-month old respond to the nutritionist's question of whether or not she
was breastfeeding, "Oh, no!  I gave him a bottle a couple of weeks ago and
after that he just didn't want the breast anymore.  And, you know, I just
didn't want to force him because it doesn't really matter."

Heaven help me, I think I fell off my chair.  I was busy with another mother
and was not part of the conversation, but the nutritionist was FABULOUS and
tried to encourage the mom to relactate because, as I heard her say, "it
really *does* matter".

Blessings!

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL