From:
Cheryl Parrott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:29:18 EDT
Just to follow up: Brief history in case you missed it>  Mom with 15 mo old
nursing fine till baby got viral stomatitis...tx only with benadryl/maalox
and time for about 2 weeks, then mom started with what she described as
blisters, cracks and yellow oozing, severe pain.  APNO helped with pain x 1
day,  no improvement overall after 1 week.  At time of call 2+ weeks of pain,
bad nipples.  My thought ?herpes...

A couple people who responded gave great ideas...here is what I did...
I spoke with on OB friend who said even if it was herpes, she didn't feel
zovirax would help AND it should self limit (resolve) within 7-10 days.  So
not herpes.  I did have mom use benadryl/maalox mix x 24 hours, with minimal
improvement.  I then had the chance to make home visit. Once I actually seen
her nipples, I was fairly confident this was yeast.   Pain, with further
history was classic for yeast, nipple and aerola bright red, nipples hurt to
touch any clothes and telltale "cracks" that are more like fissures at base
of nipple with some yellow drainage.  I gave her a yeast handout,  had her
try some "soothies" and called the OB to get her some meds.   She has no rx
coverage so he gave her Nystatin TABS  2 , twice daily.  After 36 hours of
meds she had resolution of pain.  She called me today(day 5 after I saw her).
 Said pain is gone, nipples are no longer red, the soothies worked great to
"draw out" the yellow drainage and she is healing.  I encouraged the full 2
weeks of meds and a 3rd if necessary!

Once again those nasty yeasty-beasties are defeated!!
Feeling successful this week in...

Cheryl Parrott RN, BSN
The Breast Way: Kokomo IN
Mom to Lexie 21/2 yrs old and Rachel-angel baby