From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:29:57 -0800
In the last two days I have had the joy of helping three mothers of twins  breastfeeding.  One set was five days old, and mom was  getting engorged
just as they were finally latching pretty dependably.  The next set was a day old, and I was teaching mom to pump after she visited babies in the NICU for their feedings.  Then today I dealt with another day old set who were going to breast for the very first time -- mom had pumping milk for them priorly.

So a few questions came to my mind that I really never thought about before.

If babies are not feeding simulaneously, but almost always feed one right after the other, in the early days and weeks --

        if the same twin is always the second twin is he getting cheated out of the available colostrum at first, until mom's supply increases?

        if the same twin is always the second twin, is he getting a bonus of all the hindmilk, while first twin gets mostly foremilk, once the mature milk is there?

Should we encourage moms to feed one baby on one side, the second baby on the other, then switch at the next feeding time?  Or should they feed each  baby both sides one right after the other?

How complex it gets....

Chanita, San Francisco