From:
Chris Willison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:29:24 EDT
Perusing our small local library and came across this paperback.  Published
in 1999 by Melody Milam Potter, Ph.D., and Erin Milam.  It addresses alot of
the toxins throughout pregnancy and during infancy.  Most points are
well-referenced, though a good bit of the author's opinion leaks through
also.  Well, it is a literally horrifying book when you read about the huge
number of toxins we have allowed to pervade our environment.  I was SO
dismayed by Chapter 9-Breast-feeding and Baby Food.  With  statements like

"Breast-feeding can be an emotionally charged issue that produces guilt.
Although it provides the ideal nutrient for newborns, breast milk can also be
a chemical cesspool."

The author discusses stopping breastfeeding when taking medications with no
references to T. Hale, only to Briggs.  Formula comes off as being just
fine....

"Scientific studies undertaken by health groups, the EPA, and the FDA
(National Research Council 1993) show that cow's milk-based formulas have
nondetectable levels of pesticides.  This is due to milk fat being replaced
with vegetable oil and to the multiple processing steps that formula
undergoes.  This is one reason we feel that mothers who learn or suspect they
have high chemical body loads can feel good about feeding their babies
formula."

Well, after reading this book, there isn't a mother out there who would think
she DIDN'T have a high chemical body load.  Yikes.

Have any of you seen or read this book?  Depressing all around, but just
wanted to share.
Christine in Ohio