From:
sally bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 02:36:22 EDT
Debbie Shinskie:
        I am offended, as a mother and a BF advocate, that he thinks
women will "run around half-naked"!   Does he think we are sub-human?
How demeaning.  He can't have any idea how many women are
afraid/embarrassed to BF in their own homes in front of female family
members or other nursing moms, much less in a public place.  I know many
who feel this way.  I also have clients all the time who pump and BF
*from the beginning* because they don't want to "make anyone
uncomfortable" by BF in front of them (even though we discuss discrete BF
and the importance of the first few weeks of *actually BF*).  IT'S OUR
RIGHT!  IT'S OUR BABIES' RIGHT!  I believe the explicit right to BF in
public should be protected legally if we want some women to even consider
lasting past the first few weeks.
        I can't think off-hand, but I'm sure other states specifically
define BF as *not* indecent exposure.  Maybe some of you out there were
involved with other states' passing of legislature like this?  Arly Helm
was here in Utah a few years ago.
        It comes back to the (sexist) idea that breasts are sexual and
*for men*.  I'm sure my response is far from the most eloquent we will
read.
        Good luck!
Sally Bishop, mother of Jordan and Serena, LLLL, WIC PC in northern Utah