From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:46:45 -0800
Written by:  S&J Sheperd <[log in to unmask]>

> One of my PP patients told me there is daycare at the school she goes to and
> that she will get a call to  her classroom when her baby needs to
> breastfeed.  I think that is really great!  Is this common, or is she in a
> really unusual program?  I am guessing this is uncommon.

Just a pet peeve ... notice I changed it from *daycare* to *childcare*?
We take care of children not days.  I also changed *teen moms* to be
*teen parents*.  :-)

I work for my local school district at the high school.  I am a child
care provider for teen moms and dads, model appropriate parenting
behavior, am a breastfeeding educator and advocate, confidante, referee,
and chief bottle washer.  (Although washing fewer and fewer bottles all
the time!)  In the county where I live, fairly rural, the major high
schools do provide child care for the teen parents.  In the high school
that I graduated from, affluent bedroom community of Portland Oregon,
there isn't a childcare program.  The families can afford to take care
of the *problem* in some other ways.

Please find out if your community has this type of program.  Support
it.  In doing so, you are NOT promoting teen pregnancy.  Volunteer to
teach the teen parents, health classes, life choices classes about
breastfeeding.

Every single teen mom who has had a baby since Noah (my breastfed
toddler) and I have started working there, has breastfed.  Some appear
to be in it for the l-o-n-g haul.  Some breastfeed for the 6 weeks that
they are out of school post partum.  I educate them.  I encourage them
to start.  I encourage them to continue.  I meet them where they are at
(THANKS LACTNET for showing me how important this is!!) and help them
with weaning when they really want to.

Every single teen parent that has a bottle fed baby has at some time or
another expressed a regret about not breastfeeding or not keeping up
with it or wished their child was breastfed now.  Hopefully when these
parents will go on to have other children (when they are really prepared
in life for it) they will be breastfed.
--
Monique
Noah Reilly Schaefers  6/18/97