Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:36:28 -0800
Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a board certified pediatrician with a long standing interest in
> lactation and infant nutrition....I am also now the mother of a three week old infant....
>
> My question is:
> Are there alternative positioning techniques for mothers with Carpal Tunnel
> Syndrome?  For that matter positioning for moms with physical challenges in
> general.  I could not find much in the Orthopedic Literature.  Perhaps
> someone with an OT or PT background could enlighten me on this.

Mimi et al,

Welcome to LACTNET, Mimi!  I have just come back online after having
been NOMAIL for quite a while.  My own background is a B.A. in Biology,
Physical Therapy degree from Stanford in 1966, and La Leche League
Leadership since 1975. It actually has been some years now since I have
worked as a P.T., but I continue to have an interest in the medical side
of lactation, as well as the practical side, and tend to concentrate on
CERP sessions at LLL Conferences.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!  It's a whole different
perspective from the mother's side, isn't it!  Do you have a copy of La
Leche League's THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING.  You might find it
helpful, especially for the 'mother' side of lactation!  LLL has also
just published a new edition of THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK which
would be helpful for your professional side!  The latter does have a
short section on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in the breastfeeding mother,
although it does not address positioning per se.

I can't say as how I have ever pondered that question specificially.   I
*am* married to a paraplegic, so I am pretty familiar with handling a
baby from a wheelchair!  My first thought on alternative positioning
techniques for a mother with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome would be that
sidelying is a wonderful, restful position for *any* mother!  Carrying
and nursing a baby in an over-the-shoulder type sling would also be
really helpful for her, too, I would think.  Hope these are helpful
ideas.  Feel free to send me a private post.

Alice Ziring, Mercer Island, WA