Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:05:59 +0000
Karen G. posted some refs on TW with pre-term infants.

>Hurst NM, Meier PP, Engstrom JL & Myatt A (2004). Mothers performing
>in-home measurement of milk intake during breastfeeding of their
>preterm infants: Maternal reactions and feeding outcomes. J Hum
>Lact, 20(2), 178-187.

This paper's abstract  says mothers found TW to be helpful;  no
effect on the growth of the babies either way - babies in control and
intervention group grew the same. Can't see data on length of time
the babies were bf.

>Hall WA, Shearer K, Mogan J & Berkowitz J (2002). Weighing preterm
>infants before & after breastfeeding: Does it increase maternal
>confidence and competence? MCN: Am J Mat Child Nsg, 27(6), 318-326.

Abstract of this paper says it doesn't make any difference to
confidence and competence and the practice of test weighing 'calls
into question claims that such interventions are necessary to develop
competence or confidence in mothers of preterm infants'

>Meier PP et al (1995). A new scale for in-home test-weighing for
>mothers of preterm and high risk infants. J Hum Lact, 10(3), 163-168.

This one looks at the 'BabyWeigh' scale and finds it accurate.

None of these papers finds any clinical benefit of test weighing,
which is what we are really looking for.

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK