From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:24:45 -0600
With all due respect to the poster of this message, a milk culture for
yeast is not a definitive way to diagnose breast/nipple yeast as some
bacteria/fungus, etc. is almost always present on the skin of the breast
and nipple. It is also possible that NO YEAST will be seen in a milk
culture. Diclox  is another antibiotic which probably will intensify any
sx of yeast problems. How many days was the med prescribed for? Perhaps
this lady needs to be on antifungal meds as well.
I'd be glad to dialogue further with this poster to discuss ways to
treat/cope with yeast while on antibiotics. I have quite a bit of
experience along these lines, personally and professionally. My article
"Yeast Infections during Lactation" was printed in the August issue of
Breastfeeding Abstracts and lists some predisposing factors as well as
traditional and non-pharmacological treatmens to copy with breast and
nipple yeast.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville, IL near Chicago.