From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 11:19:59 -0700
Geoff et al,  I am REALLY enjoying following this debate.  I appreciate the
different backgrounds everyone is bring to it. Kathy as an anthropologist,
Geoff as an OT and others as MDs and RNs and of course the majority as LCs.
I hope no one is feeling hurt or attacked.  This is the kind of debate that
is engaged in by many of us in the "REAL" world.   It enriches us enormously
to 'sit in' and hear some 'great minds' participate.
        At this point what I see emerging is a tremendous need for good
research. Reading the discussion as a thread - one post immediately
following the other - it is also clear that the parameters of that research
are being worked out.  SO we know what we think we know but how do we prove
it?  How do we go about getting this research done?  Lets not get stuck
arguing anecdotes.  This profession is supposed to be research based.  We do
NOT want to get caught up participating in something 'because it has always
been done that way'.  Look at the decades of treatments of jaundice, and
glucose water etc.... If cup feeding is safe under certain parameters lets
work towards finding those parameters --- ie breastmilk not formula?  if the
baby has a gag reflex? or..???
        I happen to agree with cup feeding as one of a long list of tools
but we need to ask educated questions when deciding which tool to use.
--"Without interest and passion nothing great has ever happened in history.
Hegel"
               Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC   Duncan, B.C., Canada--