From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:46:54 -0400
Re: " I've also pointed out that if we sat around in our spare time
and listed the top 20 lactation consultants today, at least 80% of them
would be non-health care professionals, just amazing IBCLCs."

Right on, Jan!

I've said something similar (although I'd be hard pressed to think of only
20 "top" LCs) - and have fought at the hospital system where I work to keep
the requirements/job description for a LC position "as is" -- as in
requiring an IBCLC but not requiring a RN. Not sure how long this will last
(or how long I will), though... We lose something very valuable if we lose
diverse entry paths into this profession.

--
Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/