From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 02:56:16 EST
My office staff tells callers my fee schedule.   This allows prospective
patients the option of choosing me as their doctor or seeing another doctor.

I answer reasonable phone calls for free and always have.   (I do tend to
remember which patients take up a lot of time and energy on the phone and I
might bill them a little extra the next time they come into the office .   .
 .)

Patients may make an appointment for a 30 minute phone consultation at the
same fee they would pay for a 30 minute office visit.

I have a dozen or so families who live out of town or out of the country who
have requested that I send them a bill so that they feel more comfortable
calling me every few weeks.   I send the bill, they feel better and so do I

The superb LC in my office also answers LOTS of calls for free but she bills
a reasonable fee for the housecalls which virtually every new mom gets on day
one or two at home.   (Most of my patients seem to feel that the fee for her
housecall is the best medical money they've ever spent.)

My fees are quite high and I am proud of them.   That was not always the way
I felt.   Figuring out what to charge for one's services is a tricky issue.

Jay Gordon