From:
Sarah McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:38:38 +0000
Hi all,
I am just coming in at the tail end of this discussion about how LLL is perceived.  I do think a lot is expected of volunteers.  We can't be perfect all the time.  At about 8pm on Saturday night as I was sitting down to watch the semi finals of 'Strictly Come Dancing' a mum rang me.  She wanted to wean her baby onto bottles and had been trying to find help for the last 2 hours.  I think I handled the call fine and that the mum will feel OK about contacting LLL again.  My point is though that volunteers are available when health professionals aren't and may be in the middle of much needed 'down time'.  However I don't always ask questions in a perfectly formed way - I am constantly trying to improve though.  Last summer 2 mums rang me desperate for help by the sounds of the answerphone messages but neither left a number and my phone does not connect messages to numbers so I was unable to return their calls i.e 'LLL did not reply to my message'.
Best wishes,
Sarah McCann.  LLL Leader (15 years), IBCLC, BScHons
www.BreastfeedingResourcesNI.co.uk