Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:02:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Yes.  And this is why I had out a copy of Jan Barger's essay Baby's Second Night to all new parents, credited to Jan, of course.  I also warn parents that the "day two fussies" are coming so they are prepared.  I tell parents that babies "wake up" on day two and may want to feed very frequently or be fussy unless in mom's arms.  I explain to them what baby is thinking and needing. Btw, this is why I like Jan's paper, she explains it very well.  Many parents seem reassured that this is normal.  I tell them this change in behavior often happens at night so prepare ahead of time by getting as much rest as possible (minimize visitors and take naps).  I strongly encourage skin2skin, with mom or dad, frequent breastfeeding (even just a few minutes), cuddles, soft music, etc.  Some moms still cave in and give formula at night but I've noticed more will now soldier through the night knowing that their baby is "normal."  

Kathleen Salisbury, IBCLC, RLC

Auburn Regional Medical Center

Auburn, WA State, USA  

-----Original Message-----

This is a general question for hospital-based LCs (irrelevant whether or not they are RNs : ) Has anyone else noticed that babies are often fine on the first day, content sipping on a small amount of colostrum, but that on the second day they baby is frantic, appearing completely unsatisfied, and mother begins to get upset and frustrated too?  It could be that I am only seeing the natural recovery from a hospital birth, but I often spend lots of time with a newborn on day one, leave for the day thinking everything is going well, and then on day 2 all has taken a negative turn.?

Who else has noticed this and what are your theories?

Isabella

UHS Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this information is prohibited.  If this was sent to you in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2