From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 14:39:11 -0700
Thank you, Brenda, for doing this research. Maybe you can do this again in
a couple of years to see if there is any change.

It's a "hospital thing". I think I'm one of 2 or possibly 3 non-RN IBCLCs
employed in a hospital in the Phoenix area. I believe all of us have a
"Lead" who IS an RN. And one hospital has a lactation dept that is run by
an RN with CLC training & much experience. I have no information if her
hospital expects her to sit the exam or not, but I believe she is planning
to anyway.

Is anyone familiar enough with hospital-style "administration-think" who
can clarify the reasons for this? I believe it has to do with licenses and
insurance reimbursements. So maybe we need to ask the insurance companies
instead of the hospital administrators.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ