From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2012 21:03:13 -0800
Dear Friends,

Some of you have already written letters demanding the Abbott formula company withdraw their new formula, Similac Total Comfort that is being marketed in the Middle East as a "Multi-purpose drug to cure many conditions including diarrhea and constipation". Abbott is also distributing powdered samples of Similac Total Comfort formula that are not sterile and could contain e-coli and enterobacter sakazakii.

Dr. Khalid Iqbal, Neonatologist and IBCLC, is spearheading the campaign against Abbott in the Middle East.  For those of you who have already written letters, Dr. Khalid has written to say how much he appreciates the international support. Recently, he wrote to Abbott with his concerns of unethical and unscientific claims.  Abbott's (January 29,2012) response was:

       "Abbott supports infant nutrition and advocates breastfeeding as the first choice for infants.  The                     company is dedicated to supporting mothers and for many years has demonstrated commitment
        to the nutritional health of infants.  All Abbott nutritional products follow and comply with local
        regulations on nutritional claims".

Abbott's response is full of lies.

Every country in the Middle East has endorsed the Code and several Middle East countries have enacted the Code into Law.  In February 2012,  Abbott said that Canada was not a signatory to the Code.  This is a lie. Canada was a signatory in 1981. Abbott says they abide by the Code. This is  also a lie. The International Breastfeeding Action Network, (IBFAN), Code Documentation Centre has documented pages of Abbott's unethical and unscientific formula claims that violate the Code.

Abbott's January 25, 2012 report to shareholder states: "Abbott's nutritional business is set to grow in the high single digits in 2012 ans to their target of more than 20% in 2015".  Abbott states that the US market for infant nutrition is slightly declining, (yeah!) but Abbott will be targeting emerging markets (boo!  Abbott, CEO Miles White earns more than $25 million per year.

STOP ABBOTT.  SHOW MILES WHITE, CEO OF ABBOTT THAT THE WORLD STANDS TOGETHER AND WILL NOT TOLERATE ABBOTT'S UNETHICAL AND UNSCIENTIFIC ADVERTISING AND ABBOTT'S CONTINUED VIOLATION OF THE WHO CODE.

WE HAVE STRENGTH IN NUMBERS AND THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION IS BEHIND US. WHAT ABBOTT DOES IN ONE COUNTRY THEY WILL TRY TO DO IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. I JUST READ A FEBRUARY 8, 2012 ABBOTT PRESS RELEASE: SIMILAC-SIMPLY-SMART BABY BOTTLE (NIPPLE IS DESIGNED FOR FEEDING BETWEEN BREAST AND BOTTLE) IS NOW ON STORE SHELVES IN THE USA.

Your letters can be very short.  Abbott knows exactly what they are doing.  They are trying to increase their bottom line.  They are not interested in infant health. When babies fed Abbott's Similac formula get sick they sell pediolyte and medications to make them "better".

 I am asking you to send one BRIEF power packed email that will reach many Abbott names and many groups across the world. Sorry for asking you to type in so many names (hope I have them all right) but I believe the world needs to know what Abbott is up to  Please also send to your own contacts and groups who are interested in protecting breastfeeding worldwide.

We do not have an email address for CEO Miles White so please put the names below on the "To" line:

and please cc
[log in to unmask] (Dr. Khalid)
[log in to unmask] (IBFAN head office)
[log in to unmask] (WABA head office)
[log in to unmask] (National Alliance for Breastfeeding Action - USA)
info@babymilkaction (IBFAN UK)
[log in to unmask] (GIFA Switzerland)
[log in to unmask] (Viet Nam)
[log in to unmask] (IBFAN Africa)
[log in to unmask] (India)
webmaster@ifanz-ibfan (IBFAN New Zealand)
[log in to unmask] (Consumers International - London)

On the subject line: please write Attention Mr. Miles White, CEO of Abbott

Please send me a copy of your email so I can monitor interest but do not cc me.  Also please email me if you have any questions. [log in to unmask]

On behalf of the mothers and babies who are trying to breastfeed:

Many, many thanks,

Renee Hefti - Graham
RN, Lactation Consultant, Vancouver, Canada