From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:21:12 -0400
Dear Friends:

I received a complimentary copy of this well-produced, attractive package: a
book and a CD.

The goal of the package is to teach parents how to settle their babies. This
includes the use of transitional objects (there is a page on how to create
this essential tool so that even if the baby looses one transitional object,
there is another readily available), and letting babies cry (they need it to
release tension). I wonder how a baby can be said to "self-soothe" if it has
to have a transitional object?  The mother is counseled never to feed a baby
to induce sleep as it will set up a bad habit.

The book is a mix of good and of dreadful information. Infant massage is
mentioned as a helpful strategy. There is a list of excellent
resources. lactation consultants and breastfeeding counselors are mentioned
several times as sources of help. At the same time, the reader is advised to
squirt some milk (2 or 3 squirts)  out before the feed if the baby is fussy
because of too much foremilk.

The basic rules of judging are 1) Is it good? and 2) Do I like it?  I'd
have  to say NO on both counts. The book, written by a pediatrician, is full
of pronouncements that strike me as cold blooded.  I'd give it away except
that there is too much in it that reflects our cultural of babies as needy
creatures that have to have their basic needs for contact and care repressed
and ignored.

warmly, and watch out!
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
craniosacral therapy practitioner
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com